Sofia Barros Carvalhosa
Edifício Duarte Pacheco
Av. Eng. Duarte Pacheco 7, 7º floor
Main Practice Areas
Consumer Business Industry Leader
Sofia is the coordinator Partner and leader of Corporate, Commercial Law and International Contracts teams. She is also CTSU’s leader for Consumer Business Industry and the coordinator of the Angolan desk team.
Sofia joined CTSU – Sociedade de Advogados, member of Deloitte Legal network, in 2007. She has a wide range of experience in transactions, namely involving Corporate and Commercial Law, M&A, International Contracts, Intellectual and Industrial Property Law and Image rights.
Since September 2019, Sofia has been appointed as Global Deloitte Legal Talent Leader.
Sofia has wide range experience in the regular legal advice in Corporate and Commercial law, as well as in negotiation of international contracts. She has been actively working in several transactions either national or international, regarding several different industries. Regarding Corporate, it should be highlighted her experience in corporate reorganizations including cross border transactions, from the analysis and definition of the proposed structure to the execution, including the legal advice to domestic and international companies related to corporate issues or coordination of projects for the incorporation of companies, transformation, dissolution and winding up, merges and demerges, redomiciliation, setting up and closing of branches, corporate secretarial services in global projects with several jurisdictions, sale and acquisition of shares, with the relevant negotiation process and documentation such as Confidentiality Agreements, Legal Opinions, Letters of Intent, Sale and purchase agreement, Joint Ventures, legal opinions.
She has also experience in providing legal assistance in drafting legal opinions, negotiating and revision of agreements, both national and international, namely in commercial law, such as distribution, agency, franchising contracts as well as in manufacturing and rendering of services contracts, and also in industrial and intellectual property law, including image rights.
Member of the Portuguese Bar Association since 1996.
- Master Degree in Law: Master’s Degree (prior to Bologna Agreement) in Commercial and Corporate Law from Universidade Lusíada de Lisboa, with a published dissertation on Image Rights, 2007
- Post-graduation on Securities Law from Law School of Universidade de Lisboa, 1999
- Course of Commercial Companies’ Law from Law School of Universidade Católica Portuguesa de Lisboa, 1998
- Law Degree from Law School of Universidade Lusíada de Lisboa, 1994
Lecturer academic experience
- Training tax consultants in Angola regarding “Angolan Corporate Law and Private Investment new legal regime”, June 2019
- Training client’s teams over “Private investment in Angola”, June 2017
- Lecturer of a Post-Graduation in Sports Finance and Law over section “The image rights of sports agents”, at Law School of Universidade de Lisboa, February 2017
- Lecturer of a Post-Graduation in Sports Finance and Law over the section “The image rights of sports agents”, at Law School of Universidade de Lisboa, February 2016
- Lecturer of a Post-Graduation in Sports Finance and Law over section “The image rights of sports agents”, at Law School of Universidade de Lisboa, March 2015
- Lecturer for several groups comprised by the marketing and commercial department from client companies under the subject “Contracts’ Legal overview”, September and December 2014
- Lecturer of a Post-Graduation in Sports Finance and Law over section “The image rights of sports agents”, at Law School of Universidade de Lisboa, March 2014
- Lecturer for several groups comprised by the marketing and commercial department from client companies under the subject “Contracts’ Legal overview”, August and October 2013
- Member of the coordination commission for the annual sport’s conferences 2012 and 2013 in Universidade Lusíada de Lisboa, June 2013 and June 2012
- Speaker in several legal and academic conferences over image rights, between 2011 and 2013
- Lecturer of Commercial Law II at Universidade Lusíada de Lisboa, between 1995 and 1998
- “Update over the Portuguese recent main legal corporate amendments” in Expert Guides 2017, Euromoney, September 2017
- “Starting-Up a Business in Portugal: a corporate legal approach” in Expert Guides 2016, Euromoney, September 2016
- “Overview of the New Foreign Exchange Regime for the Petroleum Industry in Angola”, Emerging Markets Africa, SJ Berwin Editions, June 2012
- “As situações abusivas decorrentes da exploração comercial da imagem”, in Estudos de Direito Desportivo em Homenagem a Albino Mendes Baptista, Coleção Estudos, Lusíada Editora, 2010
- “Portugal -The Portuguese M&A market - a window of new opportunities” co-authoring with Pedro S. Cabral, published in International Mergers & Acquisitions, Euromoney Yearbooks, Review 2010
- “Algumas considerações sobre a decisão proferida pelo Tribunal da Relação de Lisboa no âmbito do Acórdão de 18 de Dezembro de 2007, e que envolve o direito de imagem do praticante desportivo”, in Revista Desporto & Direito, Revista Jurídica do Desporto, nº 17, Ano VI, Coimbra Editora, January/April 2009.
- “Algumas Considerações sobre o Direito à Imagem e a sua Relevância na Atividade Desportiva”, in Revista de Estudos Jurídico Políticos Polis, nº 13/16, Lusíada Editora, 2008
- “O Direito à Imagem do Praticante Desportivo Profissional”, Coleção Teses, Lusíada Editora, 2008
Portuguese, English and Spanish