Sofia Barros Carvalhosa
Edifício Duarte Pacheco
Av. Eng. Duarte Pacheco 7, 7º floor
Main Practice Areas
Corporate Law and Commercial Law
Mergers & Acquisitions / Due Diligences
Intellectual and Industrial Property Law
Lawyer with a large experience in a wide range of transactions in Corporate Law and Companies legal assistance, Commercial Law, M&A, including Legal Due Diligences, International Contracts, Intellectual and Industrial Property Law and Image rights.
Joined CTSU - Sociedade de Advogados in the end of 2007 and is currently the partner coordinator responsible for CTSU’s team working mainly in Corporate and Commercial Law and International Contracts.
She is also the partner coordinator of CTSU’s Angolan desk team.
The main practice areas where she has been involved for the past years were corporate and commercial law, as well as general and specific advice in the negotiation and closing of international contracts. She has been actively involved in several transactions, in Portugal and abroad, mainly focused on mergers and acquisitions in different sectors of the economic activity, being part and coordinating several legal Due Diligences, setting up JV, corporate incorporation and restructuring of legal entities, organizing the contractual planning and commercial legal assistance to the on-going business of the company. She has been involved in providing legal assistance including in drafting legal understandings, negotiating agreements, in industrial and intellectual property law, including image rights.
Member of the Portuguese Bar Association since August 1996.
- Master Degree in Law: Master’s Degree (prior to Bologna Agreement) in Commercial and Company Law from the Lisbon’s Universidade Lusíada, with a published dissertation on the Image Rights (2005-2007).
- Post-graduation on Securities Law at Faculdade de Direito of Lisbon’s Universidade (1998-1999).
- Course of Commercial Companies’ Law at the Lisbon’s Universidade Católica Portuguesa (1998).
- Lawyer with a Law Degree from the Lisbon’s Universidade Lusíada (1989-1994).
Lecturer academic experience
- June 2017 – Lecturer for several groups from client under the subject “Private Investment Legal Regime in Angola”;
- February 2017 - Lecturer of a Post-Graduation in Sports Finance and Law over section “The image rights of sports agents”, at Faculdade de Direito of Lisbon’s Universidade.
- March 2015 - Lecturer of a Post-Graduation in Sports Finance and Law over section “The image rights of sports agents”, at Faculdade de Direito of Lisbon’s Universidade.
- September and December 2014 – Lecturer for several groups comprised by the marketing and commercial department from client under the subject “Contracts’ Legal overview”.
- March 2014 - Lecturer of a Post-Graduation in Sports Finance and Law over section “The image rights of sports agents”, at Faculdade de Direito of Lisbon’s Universidade.
- August and October 2013 – Lecturer for several groups comprised by the marketing and commercial department from client under the subject “Contracts’ Legal overview”.
- June 2013 and June 2012 – Member of the coordination commission for the annual sport’s conferences 2012 and 2013 in Lisbon’s Universidade Lusíada.
- 2011 up to 2013 - Speaker at a number of conferences on the subject of image rights.
- 1995-1998 - Lecturer of Commercial Law II at the Lisbon’s Universidade Lusíada.
- “Update over the Portuguese recent main legal corporate amendments” in Expert Guides 2017, Euromoney, September 2017.
- “Starting-Up a Business in Portugal: a corporate legal approach” in Expert Guides 2016, Euromoney, September 2016.
- “Overview of the New Foreign Exchange Regime for the Petroleum Industry in Angola”, Emerging Markets Africa, SJ Berwin Editions, June 2012.
- “As situações abusivas decorrentes da exploração comercial da imagem (…)”, in Estudos de Direito Desportivo em Homenagem a Albino Mendes Baptista, 2010, Coleção Estudos, Lusíada Editora.
- “Portugal -The Portuguese M&A market - a window of new opportunities” em co-autoria com Pedro S. Cabral, publicada na International Mergers & Acquisitions, Review 2010, Euromoney Yearbooks
- “Algumas considerações sobre a decisão proferida pelo Tribunal da Relação de Lisboa no âmbito do Acórdão de 18 de Dezembro de 2007, e que envolve o direito de imagem do praticante desportivo”, in Revista Desporto & Direito, Revista Jurídica do Desporto, nº 17, Ano VI, Coimbra Editora, January/April 2009.
- “Algumas Considerações sobre o Direito à Imagem e a sua Relevância na Atividade Desportiva”, 2008, in Revista de Estudos Jurídico Políticos Polis, nº 13/16, Lusíada Editora.
- “O Direito à Imagem do Praticante Desportivo Profissional”, 2008, Coleção Teses, Lusíada Editora.
Portuguese, English, Spanish and French.