Sofia Leite Borges
Edifício Duarte Pacheco
Av. Eng. Duarte Pacheco 7, 7º floor
Main Practice Areas
Working in the financial services industry, as a lawyer and legal counsel, for over 18 years, Sofia has had the opportunity to work both with the regulator, the CMVM, the Ministry of Finance Cabinet and as a lawyer for major banks, investment companies and other market players, such as rating agencies, central securities depositaries, settlement systems, issuers, venture capital companies, collective investment schemes and the government. This diversified experience has given Sofia a unique view of the financial sector and a strong knowledge of the financial industry on both a technical and a practical perspective. Sofia has a vast experience in large transactions, such as structured facilities, securitisations, covered bonds, public and private offerings and also in compliance, regulatory and governance matters. Sofia is good at problem-solving and in finding cost-effective solutions that reflect the client's uniqueness and allow for a correct balance of the client’s risk posture. Sofia is a Consultant to CTSU since 2011.
Sofia is the author of several books and articles and is a regular speaker at seminars and conferences on topics related to her areas of expertise.
Member of the Portuguese Bar Association since November 1999.
- 1998 - Post-graduation Course in Securities Law, University of Lisbon, Faculty of Law, Securities Institute (Instituto dos Valores Mobiliários)
- 1997 - Law Degree, University of Lisbon, Faculty of Law
- 2011-2015 - Consultant to CTSU
- 2008-2011 - Legal Counsel to the Ministry of Finance Cabinet
- 2004-2008 - Lawyer at Uria Menendez
- 2002-2004 - Lawyer at Vasconcelos, F. Sá Carneiro, Fontes & Associados
- 1999-2002 - Portuguese Financial Expert appointed by the CMVM to represent the regulator in certain working groups with the Committee of European Securities Regulators (CESR/ESMA), the Financial Action Against Money Laundering (FATF) and the Offshore Group of Banking Supervisors (OGBS) and the OECD
- 1998-2002 - Legal Counsel to the Portuguese Securities Markets Commission (CMVM)
Portuguese, English, French, Spanish.